Thursday, June 25, 2015

Woman"s Response to St Stephen"s Principal"s Blog on NDTV

New Delhi:  A researcher who has alleged sexual harassment by a professor at Delhi’s prestigious St Stephen’s college says the principal, Valson Thampu, tried to “destroy her” by getting her to put on paper that her complaint was an “academic problem.”

The young woman has reacted sharply to Reverend Thampu’s blog on NDTV on Sunday rebutting her allegations that he tried to shield the accused professor, Dr Satish Kumar.


“The principal never stood by me. He could have handled the case better. At first I thought he was helping me but he was helping my harasser,” told NDTV.


The student, who was doing a PhD in Chemistry, has said in her complaint that she was harassed by Dr Kumar, who was her supervisor, for two years. She has also said that when she went to the principal last year, he promised to take steps but later refused to act on her complaint.


The accused man has resigned as college bursar after being denied protection from arrest by a court; he, however, continues to be a professor.


In a detailed response in his blog, Reverend Thampu said that the woman had refused to file a complaint against the professor and repeatedly said that she wanted to complete her doctorate under his mentorship. He also said that the woman wrote in a written complaint: “I don’t wish this to be treated as a case of sexual harassment…. the matter should be treated as closed.”


The woman said it was the principal who urged her to do so.


“He asked me to write that this case should not be treated as a sexual harassment case. I asked him why I should write it when it isn’t true. He said it’s only for the time being,” she said on Wednesday.


“I initially thought he was concerned about me, my degree, safety and dignity so I wrote all of that down,” she said.


The woman also alleges that later, the principal kept urging her to write that it was an “academic problem” but she refused.


 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 NDTV Hindi News - Get the latest update here All Right Reserved